Friday, July 27, 2007

Battle Plan

Tomorrow is the Diamond Valley Classic road race. At this time last year I got bitten by a spider a few days earlier in the week, which resulted in antibiotics. I can remember getting dropped at the very beginning…on the decent, I was actually winded on the decent.

Good news this year as of now no spider bites…fingers crossed. I am going to go into this race with a game plan. The plan…race smart, sounds like a no brainier. No matter how slow the pace goes I will not move to the front and put my dick out in the wind.

The race is a 4 lap 44 mile race with what they say is two climbs, although I only remember one. The hardest part about the race will be the wind; it always veers its nasty face on this strip of land. It should be a big enough deterrent to discourage attacks, which will likely cause the pace to drop. I will just need to play it smart and sit in the draft. I hate saying I plan to sit in, but all the attacking I have done this year hasn’t paid off for me. I know I have the fitness and the knowledge to be a cat 3; I just don’t have the points.

So the plan is to sit in for the first three laps, and I am free and clear to do what I like on the last lap. I need to pay attention on the last climb and see if a group tries to attack there. I imagine that will be the only place a break will likely happen. Hopefully it will be a group of 10 to the finish, if so I will rely on my field sprinting capabilities to bring me to the front.

No comments: